Monday, May 20, 2013

The story of the Rings!

This is the story of our Weddings Rings! 


Well you all have seen my engagement ring, so i figured i'd tell you about my wedding band and his. 

My Ring!

Mine is a special band with a ton of history and I like to think that i will be fulfilling a dream that never happened. A few days after my engagement my mother came up to me with a small fabric pouch and from inside she pulled out an old, in pieces, ring. She told me that if i wanted i could have this ring to use as my wedding band. I looked it over and instantly loved it. It is a diamond and sapphire eternity band. She then told me the rings story:

The ring belonged to a woman that my mom's god mother used to take care of named Nena. She never took the ring off and when the Nena passed away, her brother asked my mom's god mother that she could have anything she wanted from Nena's jewelary box since she took such good care of her all the way up to the funeral. (she was there the day she passed away) My mother's god mother said that only thing she really wanted was the ring that Nena never took off, and her brother gifted it to her. Then many years later my mothers god mother gifted my mother with the ring, she used it as her engagement ring. (even though my father did give her a ring as well.) my mother wore it all the time until she was pregnant with me and it had to be cut off. it had been repaired once but the last person to repair it said it shouldn't be worn because it was fragile. The ring had a date of June 1926 or earlier according to my father... and a name. it had since worn off from age and wear. I thought that story was special enough, but mom came back to me a few days later and told me she asked her god mother and she remembered more about the ring. She told us that the ring was Nena's engagement ring! She was engaged to a doctor who fell ill and passed away and she loved him so much she never married and never took his ring off! So i fell even more in love with the ring! It had so much history, and so much love!! I'm so happy to give this ring a second chance of fulfilling its purpose to be a symbol of love and devotion!

A friend of mine told me where i could go to get it safely restored to its original condition. i was skeptical at first because it was a 80+ year old ring, and had already been damaged and badly repaired. But the day i picked my ring up i was so happy to see that they kept it as original as possible! they did remove the date on it... maybe i should have kept it? maybe not. I didnt think it was such a bad thing, as it was like giving the room a new beginning. besides i dont think i will ever forget its story! and i will pass the story on to my children some day!

His Ring!

His ring was a lucky find! I truly believe it was meant to be! I had been looking at rings a few times at the same store that repaired my wedding band. There were several that matched my engagement ring, but nothing that really stood out to me. I had wanted our wedding bands to match, but still be able to stand alone and still look beautiful, but after mom gifted me my ring i figured i would settle with matching finishes. one day looking at rings at the store, mom and i saw a ring that had a diamond and two sapphire's! We got super excited because we were like "That's perfect!" but sadly we soon realized it was Yellow Gold and not white. We countinued shopping around the store and right before we going to leave i decided i wanted to look at the ring anyways. I dont know why i just wanted to hold it in my hands and see how much it was. My eye's must have lit up, as Marilyn (the lovely store clerk) pulled out the ring from the tray. Much to all of our surprise the ring was actually white gold!!! I was so excited and instantly sent him a pic of it and he said he loved it. I had them put it aside for me and the following week i dragged him up to see and officially put it as sold! 

I cant help but feel there is so much about this wedding that is just falling into place and seems like it was meant to be! 

So there you have it! the story of our wedding rings!

No comments:

Post a Comment